Here is the evaluation of the brother serger machines available in 2021.
The best brother serger machines are mainly featured for their sturdy built. They are also simple to thread viz-a-viz other serger brands on the market.
Each sewist has its own peculiar requirements and criterion when it comes to choosing a best brother serger. And this might be true for you as well. Therefore, it is totally upon your preference which model you choose. Keeping in view your needs and the level of usage. To make the evaluation process simple I have reviewed the best Brother serger models that you can think about.
Brother sergers are more or less everyone’s favored machines. And there could be any reason for this. You might be in love with the machine due to its premium construction or highly affordable price range. They could be your favorite in that the machines mainly present user friendly functions.
Whatever the reason you hold to choose the brand over others, you are sure to get a reliable serger machine irrespective of the model you purchase.
Here is our list of best Brother serger;
- Brother 1034D Serger
- Brother Serger, DZ1234
- Brother Serger, 1034DX
- Brother ST4031HD Serger
- Brother Coverstitch Serger, 2340CV
Brother International Corporation has earned its reputation as a leading supplier of innovative products for sewing and embroidery enthusiasts. It is a completely owned subsidiary of Brother Industries Ltd. The company is recognized for its high-quality, state-of-the-art machines and accessories, offering ease of use and flexibility at affordable prices.
Brother serger machines features
Basically a Brother serger is designed to bring off hems and seams with impeccable finishing. However you can try out a plethora of options as with sewing machines. So sky’s the limit you can do whatever your creative ability offers. There are some qualities that the brother serger machines exhibit at large. For instance,
- The foremost benefit a brother serger offers is that it is compatible with general recurrent accessories. You would not be buying any peculiar thread and needles to make the serger work. This not only saves you some extra hassle but also expense. Which you can invest in the fabrics for sewing. Or may be the additional feet you need to carry out unique stitches.
- Threading a serger is another tipping point for many sewists. It might be because they don’t have a brother serger. Since the machines are probably the most simplest to thread out there. Although the machines present a manual threading, the color coded threading guides coupling with simple funciton ensure that you can have a painless venture from the moment you set up the machine to the very end of the project.
- Additionally the sergers are pre threaded. A white thread is placed on the machine which you can readily use to thread with any color for further use.
- Most likely with all brother sergers straight line stitching would not be an issue even for beginners. Nonetheless, when it comes to making necklines or other sewing styles to make corners, you might feel anxious. Thus you need to practice the skill to make it perfect. In other words there is a learning curve when it comes to making L-shaped stitches.
- The brother serger machines mainly carry a simple snap on foot presser. Which furnishes you with a prompt switch in between various stitching styles.
- To make the machine work fast you just need to increase the pressure applied on the pedal foot. As the foot pedal controls the speed at which a brother serger runs.
- With the differential feed ratio ranging from 0.7-2.0 the brother sergers can aptly stitch different fabrics together without skipping stitches.
- Another universal feature of the brother serger machines is the trim collector. Although the size of the tray might not be suitable for big projects, nevertheless it is a useful thing to have in a machine.
- Brother sergers also come with a variety of capabilities. Where most are dedicated sergers, yet you can find one with chain stitch or coverstitch capability as well.
best for beginners: Brother 1034D Serger
The Brother 1034D serger has been the most SOLD serger machine by Brother for years now. It owes mainly to its superior construction coupling with a reasonable price tag.
This brother serger offers all, a machine at the price can ever furnish. With a speed of 1300 stitches per minute you can achieve the output of a professional machine. The machine can carry out serging on heavy duty multiple layers of fabric for instance denim.
Since, the serger is compatible with a myriad of fabrics. You can finish the edges like any professional sewist for formal wear, linen, stretch fabrics like knits, and heavy duty materials like denim. Not only can you stitch necklines but also sew hems on jeans without skipping a single stitch.
Besides, the Brother serger is also capable of carrying out quilting or handling multiple layers of fleece.
- Easy threading
- Simple to learn
- Heavy duty metal construction
- Versatile stitching
- Ideal for left hand use
- Simple to maintain
- Built in tension feature
- Carries a lot of accessories including gathering foot
- Fantastic price
Like any other machine, this brother serger model might not be perfect. You can find some faults in the serger once you are using it for overlocking projects. Here are some of the problem you might face;
- Since the dials are positioned to the left of the serger machine. You might feel uneasy whilst using the serger in case you are right handed.
- The operation is vibrating like those ensured by the high priced serger machines. Find in the tips how to solve the issue.
- Absence of guides to indicate the size of the seams. To get guidance for seam stitching from the machine just position rubber bands framing its shoulders.
- Not a premium quality LED light bulb. Anyhow it can be replaced.
Brother Serger, DZ1234
The Brother DZ1234 is probably the most up to date serger machine with a rather economical price. It is a perfect addition to your sewing room if you are specifically obsessed with piping. The serger comes with an extra free piping foot to cater to needs of the creative projects involving piping, and blind hem.
The serger is uniquely designed to make it suitable for both beginners and professional sewists. Also it works perfectly with regular sewing machine needles.
You will get some additional accessories with this serger which enables you to perform more creative stitches. The serger carries a complete instructional manual to ensure that you get yourself acquainted with it properly. Thus you will be able to discover the tweaks and tricks more easily with the provided guidebook.
- 3 and 4 thread operation
- Capable of up to 1300 per minute
- Carries blind hem stitch foot, gathering foot, and piping foot
- Variable stitch size
- Storage provided
- Well illuminated workspace
- Color coded threading guides
- Although the serger can carry out heavy duty stitching but you need to adjust the tensions accordingly.
- The operation is not quite.
- The serger might not hold up for longer time.
best for right hand use: Brother Serger, 1034DX
Then there is Brother Serger, 1034DX. Nonetheless the serger machines might appear similar to Brother 1034D, but the machine does hold some variables.
It allows you to create detailed custom designs including ruffles, decorative edges, using decorative threads. This serger comes with additional feet so that you can perform blind hems or pipping professionally.
Furthermore, you can adjust the dials on the right side with this serger machine. Also the workplace offers an LED lit space which is more advanced viz-a-viz Brother 1034D serger.
But there are some similarities too, both serger models follow the same threading steps. Moreover, the instructions manuals are of a piece.
best heavy duty: Brother ST4031HD Serger
When it comes to handling heavy duty projects, this Brother ST4031HD is all you need. Having the construction of a beast machine, this serger can perform at the speed of 1300 stitches per minute.
Not only the Brother serger can serge up jeans but you can carry out stitching on vinyl and denim as well.
The frame is made from metal depicting a runway, this seger is perfect for bigger projects. Also it wont vibrate even at a higher speed. Besides, the knife is well designed to cut the edges perfectly smooth no matter how many layers you are working with.
- 3-4 thread adept
- 1300 stitches per minute
- Extension table
- Sturdy construction
- Carries trim trap
- 0.7-2.0 differential feed provided
- Color coded threading guides
- Industrial level G3 knife
- Offers free arm function
- Nevertheless all segers require regular cleaning but this Brother model particularly requires maintenance to retain its performance. It is not really a drawback of the machine but user’s caution.
best cover stitch: Brother Coverstitch Serger, 2340CV
The Brother 2340CV is a totally committed coverstitch serger machine. Which means you can find this one to work on knits and other stretch fabrics. To carry out cover stitching.
Additionally the machine offers beautiful tri cover stitch including wide and narrow cover stitches. It runs at the speed of 1100 stitches with a differential feed extending between 0.7-2.0. So you can design a wide range of projects without worrying about the tension.
- 2 needle
- 2,3, and 4 thread
- Advanced cover stitch
- Professional performance
- Simple to set up
- Carry out up to 1100 stitches per minute
- Offers differential feed
- Cover stitch capability of 3 millimeter to 6 millimeter
- Offers chain stitch finish
- 25 year limited warranty
- Comes with Accessories
- The brother serger does not offer a free arm function
- It is a dedicated coverstitch machine not a serger
- Auto tension release feature is not incorporated
Handy tips for brother serger machine users
- As broached earlier, the brother serger machines come pre threaded, yet you need to rethread the spools with a quality thread. These threads are just to help you learn how to thread, not for using in stitching. So avoid using the pre threaded thread to evade any latent issues.
- Threading a serger is the most coveted skill for sewists. Do not let the process of threading a brother serger discourage you, just learn the steps and sequence to thread. for the purpose you can find a video online depicting the procedure to thread the serger model you own. Just keep in mind that you have a serger machine which is designed to keep the threading process as simple as possible.
- You can also thread a serger using the pre threaded thread. Just attach the end of the new thread to the bobbin’s thread. And run the serger. This will automatically thread the machine in moments.
- If you find the machine vibrating during operation, you can opt to place a push pin board to solve the problem.
- Machines need regular oiling to keep working properly. Do not forget to lubricate your Brother serger at the completion of every project.
- It is recommended to have a trial sewing on a scrap material before stitching. As you might find the stitch entail some trivial changes to look better. It could be tension or stitch size variation when the project’s fabric changes.
I know each and every sewist has its own set of best serger machines. Yet, I would say that a brother serger has to be there in your fleet. Because these machines are designed to carry out high end finishing without breaking the bank.
The serger machines offer a refund option as well. Therefore, you can get the money back in case you are not satisfied with your purchase. So it is worth the chance to give the serger a try.
What do you think?